WinView Games Playbook: Angels vs. Athletics - September 18
Tom Vecchio breaks down Tuesday's matchup between the Angels and Athletics to give you his take on what to watch for in this MLB contest on WinView Games.
Los Angeles Angels @ Oakland Athletics
Game Total: 8.5
Los Angeles Angels
- The Angels are out of the playoff race and it has been showing, as they have lost three of their last four games, giving up five or more runs in those three losses.
- Those losses are coming from the fact their pitching is very average this season. They are 15th in ERA, 16th in WHIP, 13th in quality starts, and 15th in BAA.
- The hitting for Angels is also very average, as the bottom half of their lineup is rather weak. They are 13th in runs scored, 18th in batting average, and 17th in OBP and 12th in slugging percentage.
- Despite their offense being lackluster overall, Justin Upton is shining right now. He has home runs in three of his last four games, with four total home runs.
- Mike Trout continues to do his thing with four multi-hit games over his last eight, with three doubles and one home run.
- Tyler Skaggs will be on the mound for the Angels tonight, who will be making his first start off the DL since August 11th. Skaggs had given up 17 earned runs in his last two starts prior to going on the DL.
- Kole Calhoun had a home run in his most recent game, but that was his first hit in last six games.
- The Athletics are in the dead heat of the AL Wild Card race and in some nearly must-win games. They are just 1.5 games behind the Yankees for the first wild-card spot.
- Oakland has one of the better offenses in the league and comes in with the 5th most runs scored, 13th in batting average, 11th in OBP, and 3rd in slugging percentage.
- Oakland has been hit with some injuries in the pitching staff, but they are making it work with their bullpen and come in with some solid numbers. They are 5th in WHIP, 9th in ERA, 17th in quality starts, and 8th in BAA.
- Even though these are must-win games for the Athletics, they have lost three of their last four while giving up five or more runs in each game. They have scored three or more runs in each of those games as well.
- Liam Hendriks is set to “start” the game for the Athletics, but he likely won’t pitch longer than one inning, as that has been the routine for him the last few times out.
- Khris Davis is doing his normal thing and going for the AL MVP. He has two home runs in his last three games, with hits in nine of his last 10.
- Matt Chapman has also been on fire lately, with hits in five of his last six games, with three doubles and one home run.
1) Which team records more total bases in the 1st Inning? YES 2.5x / NO 2.5x
Since the odds on this one are even you can really go either way with your pick, but I’m siding with the Athletics. They are just the better team overall and in a spot where they need to win.
2) Either team scores in the 1st Inning YES 4.4x / NO 1.7x
This game has an over-under set at 8.5, which is somewhat high for this being a pitcher’s park, but I said Skaggs is coming off the DL and hasn’t looked good before that.
3) L. Hendriks (OAK) records a strikeout in the 1st Inning YES 3.7x / NO 1.9x
This one is tough since he only has a 20% strikeout rate this season, but I want to go with YES since he has recorded one strikeout in three of his last four one inning starts.
4) (LAA) swings at the first pitch YES 3.2x / NO 2x
I generally always side with NO on these types of props. Mostly due to the fact teams aren’t that aggressive with the first pitch, so I’ll stick with that.